Maybelline Mascaras: Which is Better?

maybelline mascara lash sensational big shot colossal review
Maybelline is definitely among the most popular and high quality drugstore brands. In fact, many of its products have been deemed as dupes for higher end products. In general, Maybelline's most standout and even timeless products are mostly in the categories of concealers, lipsticks, and mascaras. Especially mascaras - in fact, the cult classic "Great Lash" mascara was the first product the brand ever released which is still being raved about (but I still have yet to try that one though!). However nowadays, Maybelline's Lash Sensational mascara is definitely among the top mascaras ever since its release a few years ago which is now my holy-grail mascara. Recently, the brand released the Big Shot Colossal mascara of which I heard many praises for, so a few weeks ago I picked it up. After many uses and extensive experience of the two mascaras, here's what each mascara offers, side by side:

maybelline mascara lash sensational big shot colossal review

First off, the claims. The Big Shot Colossal prides itself in offering loads of volume and I believe that it really does offer just that. Its wand is quite thick and is comprised of wavy bristles which allows it to coat almost all the lashes quite heavily. On the other hand, the Lash Sensational strives to offer the "full fan effect" meaning that it is supposed to separate the lashes and create a fanned-out fluttery lash look. This is done by its curved wand; its inner curve is actually supposed to be the side where it applies mascara, however, I feel that applying the wand with its outer curve produces much better results as it also lifts the lashes upwards. In fact, this is possibly the only mascara where I actually see my stubborn straight lashes being lifted, especially the waterproof version. 
In regards to the formula, the Big Shot Colossal is less wet, although still not totally dry to the point that it flakes or clumps. The Lash Sensational is quite wet at first, but then dries a bit to a normal consistency.
Left to right: Big Shot Colossal, Lash Sensational

     These two mascaras really are drugstore gems, each in their own way. The Lash Sensational will always be my favourite thanks to its curling and fanned-out effect; because of this I feel that this mascara might be better as it offers more benefits to the lashes. The Big Shot Colossal has a singular feature in that it really only affects the volume of the lashes. Nonetheless, I still use it and enjoy it for layering atop the Lash Sensational and I also use it on my bottom lashes as that's where I love loads of volume. 

Overall, mascaras really depend on personal preference and needs, but in general I feel that Maybelline has a great variety that will highly likely contain the mascara that you are looking for. What's your favourite mascara?

Follow


shop this post.

9 comments:

  1. Great comparisons! I think I'll stick with the Lash Sensational. I find that it's the only mascara that does something for my itty bitty lashes.

    Nicole | The Glam Surge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lash Sensational is my all time favorite mascara, I can't live without it.
    A Sparkle Of Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that it's so many people's favourite which is definitely well-deserved!

      Delete
  3. Maybelline mascara are just fab! Their some of the only ones I ever use now and the lash sensational is also one of my faves
    Kathy x
    Alongcamekathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybelline is amazing at mascaras! I look nowhere else!

      Delete
  4. I think I'll get the Lash Sensational one - my current Maybelline mascara is a volumizing one, and while it does work, I'm looking for the full-fan effect :)
    Ela | www.stealingyoursunbeams.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great one for that! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

      Delete
  5. This is a great detailed post! I have been buying different brands and variations of mascaras for years! i don't think i have tried any maybeline so maybe I should!

    Eb x
    www.eboniivoryblog.com

    ReplyDelete