Drugstore Beauty Haul + Review

Personally, I'm more of a drugstore makeup kind of girl over high end makeup. Drugstore makeup is high-quality (if you select the right ones), so I don't really find any need to shell out more money for products that can easily be matched with those from the drugstore. So, I paid a visit to the drugstore Rexall and went all out. The reason why I went to Rexall over the admittedly more popular drugstore, Shoppers Drug Mart, is because Rexall is the only store that sells NYX Cosmetics in Canada which meant that I could get my hands on the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams! But... I wasn't able to since they were sold out! Oh well, better luck next time and I did leave with plenty products anyway, which are all featured in this post. This post is kind of a 2-in-1: a haul and review, since I've already tried out most of these products.

1. Real Techniques Core Collection Makeup Brushes
I've never been a brush user; I usually applied my makeup with my hands, but since I wanted to buy my first eyeshadow palette (mentioned later), I thought it would be a terrific opportunity to buy brushes for the first time. Obviously, the brand that I had no doubt about was Real Techniques since they are extremely raved about and known for its quality (and affordability). This "core collection" set comes with a contour brush, buffing brush, detailer brush, and a pointed foundation brush. I've used these brushes already and I am extremely pleased with how different and more effective my makeup is applied!

2. Maybelline Lash Sensational
Again, this mascara is extremely popular that it was even rewarded as the most popular mascara of 2015 according to Maybelline's Instagram page! Its wand applicator is quite an intricate mechanism; its inner curve is for your eyelashes from the root and the convex bristles are for the tips of your eyelashes for a fan effect. Maybelline does a great job with mascara in general, but this one I totally understand for being the most popular!

3. Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous Concealer
My previous concealer (Covergirl Fresh Complexion Under-Eye Concealer) was running out, but apparently it's run out for good - it's discontinued! So, I went for the new concealer that's apparently replaced the other. I'm not too picky with concealer; as long as it covers blemishes and brightens under the eyes, I'm all good and that's what this concealer does. I'm not too sure what difference this one has compared to its predecessor which is a good thing so I guess this is my holy-grail concealer now!

4. Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy Nail Enamel in "Queen of Hearts" 
I was in absolute need for a dark berry red nail polish especially for this time of year. I was expecting to purchase Essie's "Bordeaux", but it was unavailable in store, however, I caught my eye on a virtually identical colour in Revlon's nail polish range. I'm actually currently wearing this shade on my nails now as I type this and I adore it! Also, this nail enamel is allegedly a base + colour in one so I guess that adds extra value.

5. Essie in "Ballet Slippers"
My favourite colour for nail polish is hands down, pale pink (which is actually my favourite colour for almost anything, really), so obviously, I had to get one of the most popular Essie colours that fit the description. I have yet to try it, but I've had excellent experience with Essie so far so I doubt I'll be disappointed. Also, take a moment to appreciate THE BEST name for a nail polish: "ballet slippers'!!

6. Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in "Sultry"
Recently, I've been adoring dark brown-toned natural colours with a hint of mauve and that's exactly the description for this matte lip. I already owned two shades from this range and I enjoyed them so I was sure that I would like the rest from the range and indeed I do. Honestly, this may be my most favourite lipstick in my collection!

7. Maybelline Blushed Nudes Eyeshadow Palette
I've never owned, worn, or been excited about eyeshadows at all. I guess the reason why I've started growing a liking to eyeshadows now may be due to watching YouTubers! So, as a beginner and a lover of nude eyeshadows over bold ones, I thought that this palette would be the perfect choice. I really do enjoy this palette: it's not massively pigmented, it has an adequate spectrum of nude colours, and has a variety of mattes and shimmers. Also, for beginners (like myself), the back of the palette contains a guide for different looks and combinations that you can try out with the palette by sectioning off the palette in duos, trios, or quads! Of course, you can play around with the shades and create your own combinations which I've started doing myself. This palette is perfect for having a subtle, yet pretty eyeshadow look! 

So these were my purchases from the drugstore recently and I am honestly pleased with all of them. Hopefully, I'll get my hands on NYX and if not, then perhaps I'll try online. Have you tried any of these products? What are your favourite drugstore products? 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment