The Bold Lipstick Guide for Those Who Don't Wear Bold Lipsticks.

bold lipsticks drugstore loreal rimmel 107 tanya burr cosmetics makeup blogger nyx matte
It is quite evident, based on most popular lipsticks and most raved about shades, that the nude shade spectrum is the most prevalently worn when it comes to lipsticks. I always hear more about the nudes than the bolds, which is understandable given the understated look that it gives. Surely, bold lipsticks can be intimidating or uncomfortable to wear as they do capture attention and are sometimes more difficult to wear as precision becomes more of a necessity (blog post on how to apply dark lipsticks here). Personally, I am among the minuscule proportion of the population that prefers bolds over nudes as I just prefer the look of it, especially on myself. So, I thought that if you are struggling with branching out of your nude lipstick comfort zone, hopefully this post will help you with how to take that step towards the bolds by this guide offering various options and shades that you might be more comfortable with. 

bold lipsticks drugstore loreal rimmel 107 tanya burr cosmetics makeup blogger nyx matte swatch
Top to bottom: L'Oréal Le Matte "Mad For Matte" & "Matte-r of Fact"; Tanya Burr "Central Park"; Rimmel "107"; NYX "Alabama"

The Classic Red Lip. The red lipstick is definitely a bold shade, but it is a very classic and timeless one, making it not very different or unconventional. I guess you could say that the red lipstick is the "safest" bold lipstick and a perfect entry level into trying out more different bold shades. It's flattering on everyone and with almost every look and offers a chic and sophisticated, yet bold look.

The Purple. I love the purple colour family for makeup as I consider it a more interesting form of "neutrals". It's not incredibly vibrant, but still offers a vivid colour to the lips. You can also work your way around purples by opting for a berry shade with purple undertones which makes it a lot more wearable. Nonetheless, purples and berries are a great way to experiment with bold lipsticks without going all the way towards a highly intense shade.

The Bright Pink. I am not discussing the neon or hot pink as I can understand that that's probably a very intense and intimidating shade. An alternative, however, is a bright pink with a slight berry undertone. I spoke about this Tanya Burr "Central Park" lipstick before, but it is a very unique shade in that it offers a vivid pink infused with a bit of purply-berry, making it less "highlighter pink" and more rosy.

The Deep Red. This is another very safe lipstick shade that still provides a bold lip look. Autumnal shades that are not too dark but still quite deep in their shade of red is a classic and sophisticated way of trying out a bold lip without being too intense. It is a very flattering tone and is my personal go-to.

The Vampy Shade. This is the darkest alternative in this guide, but I made sure that it wasn't too dark. Too dark would be Mac's "Sin", but NYX's "Alabama" is just right as it offers a deep red and slight chestnut-brown undertone that prevents it from bordering on black. Again, it is a very sophisticated shade that doesn't overwhelm the face, but gives a flattering edge to your look.


I hope this compilation of wearable bold lipsticks helps you in delving into the bold lipstick world. Let me know which is your favourite shade! 

Follow


shop this post.

SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

6 comments:

  1. This post was great! I love all shades of red when it comes to lipstick so this was good! But it's true that on daily basis I wear nude colors xxx
    http://fallingforablog.blogspot.com.es/2017/06/instagram-inspiration-may.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this post! Red shades are beautiful, but there is a lot variety in undertones and I love them all!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been able to try the L'oreal Le mattes yet but I absolutely love crayon sort of products!
    Kathy x
    Alongcamekathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! They are so underrated, but so good!

      Delete
  3. I used to wear purple lipsticks a ton a few years ago, now I'm all about the mauves haha.

    Nicole | The Glam Surge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love purples! Mauves are really popular now and are great neutral versions of that colour family although, being a lover of the bolds, I adore the vibrancy of purples too!

      Delete